Header

Thoughts & Ideas

Pictures Everywhere

Even in the most innocuous of places there is a world of pictures just waiting to be taken. This is why it is so important to take your camera (or one of them, at least) with you all the time – there’s undoubtedly a picture waiting for you around the next bend, in the next room, or waiting to pop out at you five minutes from now.

Case in point: my recent stay in a hotel. It was late at night – after 9pm, and I was bored watching the TV. So as I wandered around the room, I discovered a plethora of interesting angles and objects. Here’s just a few:

Hotel_20090610 (14 of 82)

An interesting angle from the bedroom into the living area and the door of the suite.

 Hotel_20090610 (25 of 82)-2

The reflection of my bed (prior to having been slept in, obviously) in the bedroom television screen. I think it gives it a rather lo-mo effect, even before the post-processing was applied.

 Hotel_20090610 (33 of 82)

This is just a lamp. But aren’t the textures on it gorgeous?

 Hotel_20090610 (52 of 82)

These happen to be my shoes. Not sure why, but they looked an interesting target for my camera!

So, even though it was late and I was in an unfamiliar place – there were pictures to be taken. I could easily have missed these (and others) had I not had a camera with me, or an eye for trying things. I’m so glad I had both with me – my camera, and my eyes – and I’m ever-so-pleased with the results.

Here’s the moral of the story, I suppose: have your camera with you, and experiment. You never know what you’ll capture! Until next post, keep on writing with light!

P.S. The above happened to be a wonderful reason to have some fast glass on your camera. I have the wonderful Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens which, aside from being cheap ($80), is also sharp and faster than any of my other glass (f/3.5 and f/4). While the room appeared bright to my eyes – it was nothing compared to sunlight – so most of the images above were taken at ISO 800 with exposure times between 1/40 and 1/80 second. If you don’t have fast glass, but have image stabilization, you should be able to achieve similar results.

P.P.S. One more footnote: this also happens to be a really good reason to have a dSLR or a compact with a large sensor size. ISO 800 returned eminently usable results, but on a smaller sensor, the images would be gritty, full of noise, and lacking in detail. Take the noise you do see in the images above and multiply it by a few times to get a good image of what they would look like on a small point-and-shoot with a small sensor. That’s not to say you can’t get great results with a small sensor, just that it takes more work to do – and you probably won’t be shooting at ISO 800, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment